This ooey-gooey, fudgy chocolate cake recipe showcases the magic of aquafaba, the reserved bean liquid that whips up like a meringue, replacing eggs in baking recipes. It also highlights how veggies can add so much moisture to recipes, such as zucchini in a luscious cake. Since I’ve got zucchinis coming out of my ears right now, this recipe was the perfect, delicious treat for a special summer dinner party in my garden (right next to my zucchini plant no less!).
Yields 15 servings
- ½ cup aquafaba (reserved liquid from 1 15-oz can of beans)
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unflavored plant-based milk (i.e., soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond, coconut, or pecan meal
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add aquafaba (bean liquid) to a large bowl and use an electric mixer to whip until white and stiff (about 2-3 minutes).
- Gently stir in coconut palm sugar, margarine, vanilla, plant-based milk, and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, meal, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, gently stirring only to combine ingredients.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips gently.
- Spray a medium baking dish (11 X 7) with non-stick spray and pour batter into the dish, spreading evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until fork inserted in center comes out clean. Makes a very moist, fudgey cake. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make frosting, mix margarine, vanilla, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and plant-based milk with an electric mixer in a small bowl until smooth and fluffy. When cake is cool, frost surface.
- Slice into 15 squares.
Nutrition information per serving: 405 kcal, 24g fat, 270g sodium, 113mg potassium, 52g cho, 3g fiber, 30g sugar, 4g pro