Here’s a comfort food dessert recipe heavy on flavor, and light on calories. Calling upon the rich flavors of cherries, pistachios, coconut and oats, it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family!
Yields 8 servings
- 2 10-oz bags frozen cherries
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ¼ cup unsweetened, sliced, dried coconut
- ½ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add cherries to a medium baking dish and toss with corn starch, lemon zest, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt (if desired). Cut in dairy-free margarine with a fork. Fold in coconut and pistachios.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top of the cherry mixture. Place in oven, uncovered, and bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories: 267 Total fat: 10 g Saturated fat: 3 g Sodium: 86 mg Carbohydrate: 40 g Fiber: 5 g Sugar: 14.5 g Protein: 7 g
Recipe created by Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian and author of Plant-Powered for Life, sharonpalmer.com.