Tofu is the magic ingredient in this quiche dish, which is like a plant-based meal in one. Packed with protein, whole grains, and veggies, it’s a nutrition power house to fuel your day. Rich in savory mushrooms and spinach, this pie can be served at breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner—and it’s delicious the next day, too!
Yields 8 servings
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plain, unsweetened, soymilk
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 5 ounces (4 cups tightly packed) fresh, baby spinach leaves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 15-ounce container extra firm tofu, drained, cubed
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix flour, flax seeds, and salt (optional) together. Stir in ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and ¼ cup soymilk and mix to form a dough. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie dish. Pierce with a fork and place in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add fresh spinach leaves, black pepper, salt (optional), mustard, paprika, oregano, and turmeric and sauté for about 2 minutes, just until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Place tofu, ½ cup soymilk, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce in a blender container and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Stir blended tofu into the spinach mixture.
- Fill pie shell with spinach tofu filling. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and return to oven. Bake for an additional 50 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Slice into 8 servings. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 255 calories, 13.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 274 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 14 g protein