This is my mom’s 50-year old recipe for sugar cookies, which I gave a vegan update. While they are certainly not healthy, I think it’s ok to splurge on something every once in awhile! And these heartfelt, home-made, hand-decorated cookies are certainly worth it. I have been making them for my kids since they were little for special holidays: Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day. They used to love to help get out my box of cookie cutters to help cut out the various shapes, and then decorate them with colored sprinkles, nuts, and raisins. I hope you enjoy this classic recipe, from my family to yours. It’s a perfect way to show someone you love them this holiday season.
Yields 4 dozen cookies
- 1 ½ tablespoons egg replacer (i.e., Ener-G)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened, plain plant-based milk, plus additional 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine spread
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Plain plant-based milk
- Mix egg replacer, 3 tablespoons plant-based milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix in margarine and sugar.
- Stir in flour just until combined. Add additional plant-based milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, just to make a smooth dough that is not sticky.
- Form dough into a circle, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness using a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
- Cut out dough into desired shapes using cookie cutters that have been lightly floured.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet, allowing space to spread slightly.
- Bake for about 10 – 15 minutes, just until surface starts to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make icing: place powdered sugar in a small dish; add vanilla, and mix in just enough plant-based milk to make a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Decorate cookies with icing and decorations as desired.
Cookies Only: Nutrients Per Serving: 79 calories, 1 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 4 g sugar, 42 mg sodium
Icing Only: Nutrients Per Serving: 20 calories, 0 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 5 g sugar, 0 mg sodium