Who says that holiday side dishes have to involve stuffing and sweet potatoes? I came up with this super simple plant-based side dish that involves one pan and a short list of ingredients, such as oats, cranberries, pistachios, and turmeric. Yet, it’s so simple, nutritious and flavorful!
Yields 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1 cup canned whole cranberries
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add onions, celery and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, parsley, turmeric, marjoram, black pepper and pistachios, and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, heat oven to 350 F.
- Add cranberries, broth and oats, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake on top rack for 25 minutes, until golden and tender.
Nutrition information per serving: 166 calories, 5 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat 1g, 0 mg cholesterol 0 mg, 160 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 2 g sugars, 8 g protein