Summer is here! And it’s time to enjoy more outdoor meals, with a hearty veggie burger, plenty of veggie-rich salads, and a fruit forward dessert. My favorite food bloggers contributed to my summer recipe roundup. I can’t wait to try all of these recipes!
Buffalo Chickpea Quinoa Burgers
From Kara Lydon, The Foodie Dietitian
The Foodie Dietitian, a food and healthy living blog, features delicious seasonal vegetarian recipes and simple strategies to bring more yoga and mindfulness into your life.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
For the patties:
1 c. cooked quinoa
1 ½ c. chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c. shallot, minced
1 large carrot, grated
1/3 c. quinoa flakes
1/3 c. hemp seeds
¼ c. Frank’s hot sauce (any Buffalo sauce can be substituted)
2 tsp. white miso paste
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of white pepper
6 hamburger buns
For the “blue cheese” dressing:
1 c. cashews
4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
5 tsp. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. white miso paste
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 cup water
Green leaf lettuce Avocado, sliced
Extra Frank’s hot sauce
For the Patties:
1. Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package. In the meantime, add chickpeas to a food processor, and pulse to a powder-like consistency.
2. In a large bowl, add the ground chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, shallot, carrot, quinoa flakes, hemp seeds and miso paste. Mix together and use the back of a fork to mix the miso and mixture together. Add Frank’s hot sauce, salt and white pepper and mix together. With clean hands, knead mixture and press down to form.
3. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes. Form into 6 patties, squeezing and packing the mixture together. Use a George Foreman grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until browned. If you don’t have a George Foreman, cook in a nonstick frying pan with a small amount of olive oil for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
For the “blue cheese dressing”:
4. Soak cashews in 1 1/4c water for 30 minutes.
5. Add cashews and remaining ingredients, except water, to a food processor or blender and puree on high speed. Add water, 1/4c at a time, to achieve desired smooth and creamy consistency. You may need more or less than 1c water. Top burgers with dressing.
Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
From Alex Caspero, Delish Knowledge
Whole food, vegetarian recipes with a dash of nutrition tips.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6):
2 lbs. sweet potatoes
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red pepper, diced ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
1½ tsp. olive oil, divided
Roasted Jalapeno Dressing:
2 large slices red onion
2 limes, juiced
½ tsp. red chili flakes
¼ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. oregano
1 tsp. maple syrup
4 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes and let cool. The skins should slip off but if not, gently slice them off.
4. Cut into 1” thick slices and brush with 1 tsp. olive oil.
5. Place on the grill and cool for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and cut into large dice. Set aside.
Make the dressing:
6. Brush the onion slices and jalapenos with ½ tsp. olive oil.
7. Place on the grill and cook for 5 minutes until skin is blistered. Remove from grill, let cool slightly, and rub off jalapeno skins and seeds. Finely dice the jalapeno and red onion in a separate bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients: lime juice, chili flakes, cumin, oregano, maple syrup. Drizzle in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
8. Add the red pepper, black beans, and cilantro in the sweet potato bowl. Gently toss with dressing. Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Serve!
Mango Chickpea Edamame Salad
From May Zhu, Nutrition Happens
Nutrition Happens is a healthy lifestyle blog sharing a passion for nutritious, wholesome recipes and meal inspirations.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4):
1 cup chickpeas
1 cup edamame, shelled
1/2 cup cucumbers, diced
1/2 cup mango, diced
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/2 cup tahini + 4 tbsp water
1 lemon, juiced
1 garlic clove
1. In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, edamame, cucumbers, and mango.
2. In a separate bowl, combine ingredients for the dressing. Add to the chickpea mixture from step one and mix thoroughly.
Grilled Avocado Stuffed with Grilled Mango Salsa
From Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN, founder of Family. Food. Fiesta.
Family. Food. Fiesta. focuses on easy-to-make, healthy, affordable recipes and kids cooking videos the entire family will enjoy.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4):
2 avocados (medium/small size)
¼ small red onion
Olive oil for brushing
2 Tbsp lime juice (divided)
¼ cup cilantro
Salt to taste
1. Light a grill.
2. Chop the avocados in half and remove the pit. Keep the avocados in their shell.
3. Peel the mango.
4. Peel the red onion and leave it in the quarter shape.
5. Lightly brush the avocados, mango, red onion, and jalapeno with olive oil and drizzle with 1 Tbsp. lime juice.
6. Place the avocado (flesh side down), mango, red onion, and jalapeno on the grill. Grill each side of the mango, red onion, and jalapeno for 4 minutes.
7. Flip the mango, red onion, and jalapeno onto the other side for another 4 minutes of grilling. Grill the avocado for about 5 minutes or until you get grill marks but it’s not mushy. Remove from the grill.
8. Make the salsa by dicing the mango and the red onion. Slice the jalapeno in half and remove the seeds and finely chop. Chop the cilantro. Slice the lime into wedges.
9. Mix the salsa in a small bowl, by adding the mango, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice, and salt.
10. Add the salsa mixture to the hole in the avocados left by the removed pits and serve. Garnish the dish with additional lime wedges.
Nutrition Information: Serving size: ½ avocado topped with salsa. Calories: 154.5 Fat: 10.5 Saturated fat: 1.5 Carbohydrates: 16.9 Sugar: 8.7 Sodium: 7.5 Fiber: 5.8 Protein: 1.8 Cholesterol: 0
From Michaela Ballman, MS RD CLT, Wholify
Wholify is about guilt-free eating, nourishing food, and making healthy dishes delicious.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6, Prep: 5 min, Baking: 40 min):
1 ½ cups frozen raspberries
½ cup evaporated cane juice
1 cup milk
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. seat salt
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9-inch pie pan. Place frozen raspberries in a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
3. Whisk together eggs and sugar using a hand whisk or handheld mixer until color turns a pale yellow and mixture incorporates air. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until just mixed together.
4. Pour mixture over the berries and bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Allow to cool before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.