You won’t believe the plant power in these mega muffins! They are packed with cocoa, zucchini, avocados, almond meal, hemp, chia, flax, wheat germ and more! Plus, they are so delicious, they’re like a special treat—one that you can feel good about!
Yields 10 muffins
- ¼ ripe avocado
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 small summer squash, shredded
- 1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup soy milk, plain
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl (electric mixer works well), combine avocado, vegetable oil, agave nectar, shredded summer squash, chia, flax, vanilla, and soy milk. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Add almond meal, wheat flour, walnuts, cinnamon, cocoa powder, wheat germ and baking soda and mix only until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray muffin pans with nonstick spray. Fill with batter about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until baked through. Makes a dense, moist muffin.
Nutrients Per Serving: 177 calories, 5 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g sugar, 131 mg sodium
Recipe created by Sharon Palmer, RD, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, author of Plant-Powered for Life.