Here’s a healthier take on a breakfast BLT—this plant-based version relies on baked tofu, lettuce greens and tomatoes. And the baked tofu has a spicy sriracha kick, along with the nutty flavor of toasted sesame seeds. If you make the tofu the day before you can whip up this hearty open-face breakfast sandwich in just a few minutes the next morning.
Serves 1 open-face sandwich
- 1 15-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (may decrease or increase according to spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 slices of tomato
- ½ cup green and red baby lettuce leaves
- 4 1-ounce slices whole grain baguette
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Drain tofu and slice in half lengthwise, and in half crosswise, to create 4 rectangular pieces. Place in a small baking dish.
- Mix together soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sriracha sauce, and sesame seeds. Drizzle over tofu.
- Place tofu on top rack of oven and cook for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- While tofu is baking, place baguette slices on a small baking sheet and place in oven to toast for about 5 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- To arrange sandwiches, place one toast on a serving dish, layer with one-fourth of the lettuce leaves, 1 slice of baked tofu, and top with 1 slice tomato. Repeat to make 4 open face sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
*Nutritional Information per Serving: 173 calories, 11 g protein, 6 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 283 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2 g sugar
*Bake the tofu the day before and refrigerate until the next morning to make this recipe in minutes. Simply pop the baguette slices in the toaster and serve tofu warm or cold with the tomatoes and lettuce leaves on the breakfast sandwich.
Recipe created by Sharon Palmer, RD, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, author of Plant-Powered for Life.