I am so excited that this recipe for Red Raspberry Crumble bars was chosen as second runner-up in the National Processed Raspberry Council’s recipe contest! I hope you enjoy making it!
Succulent red raspberries are perfectly showcased in crumbly oat and grain desserts, where their ruby, sweet-tart flavors just shine right through! In my super-easy, delicious, and wholesome version, whole grain oats, whole wheat flour and hemp seeds form earthy crumbled layers for the juicy berries. Now this is a dessert you can feel good about eating any day of the week—even for brunch!
To learn more about the health and flavor benefits of fruit forward desserts including red raspberries check out my blog here.
Yields 9 servings
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (hulled)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup + 1 ½ tablespoons coconut palm or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 ½ tablespoons almond milk
- 2 cups frozen red raspberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9 × 9 inch baking dish with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking powder, hemp seeds, cinnamon, and ½ cup of the sugar. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Stir in almond milk to make a crumbly dough.
- Pour about 2/3 of the crumbly dough into the bottom of the baking dish and pat down.
- In a small bowl, toss together raspberries, lemon juice and 1 ½ tablespoons sugar. Pour evenly over crumbly dough.
- Top with remaining crumbly dough, spreading out evenly over raspberries.
- Place uncovered in oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Slice into 9 squares and serve immediately. Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator.