Active preparation time: 17 minutes
Total preparation time: 17 minutes
It’s easy to move away from the “meat as the center of the plate” attitude when you focus on fresh, globally inspired dishes, like these spicy tacos. You won’t even miss the beef when you cook up this quick dish, sure to please the entire family. Pair it with Tortilla Soup to balance out your meal. Best of all: save leftover taco filling and reheat for a speedy, easy lunch the next day.
Makes 8 servings (1 taco each)
8 ounces (227 g) extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for best results
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups (105 g) finely chopped mushrooms (e.g., white, baby portobello)
2 green onions, white and green parts, diced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons prepared salsa, plus . cup (130 g) for serving
1 teaspoon low-sodium taco seasoning (see page 345)
1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
One 15-ounce (425 g) can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained (or 1¾ cups cooked)
2 cups (72 g) packed leafy greens
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium avocado, peeled, cored, and sliced into 8 pieces
Eight 6-inch (23 g) whole grain tortillas (e.g., corn, whole wheat)
1 cup (112 g) shredded plant-based cheese, optional
Plant-based sour cream, optional
1. Shred the tofu with a grater or in a food processor (with shredding attachment).
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shredded tofu, mushrooms, green onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add the salsa, taco seasoning, and soy sauce. Sauté for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
4. Meanwhile, heat the black beans in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat until warm.
5. Arrange the greens, tomatoes, and avocado on a platter.
6. Warm the tortillas in the microwave or in a hot skillet for 30 seconds.
7. To assemble the tacos: Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of the tofu-mushroom mixture, ¼ cup of black beans, ¼ cup of greens, 3 tablespoons chopped tomato, 1 slice of avocado, 2 tablespoons of plant-based cheese, a dollop of plant-based sour cream (if desired), and 1 tablespoon of salsa.
Note: Store the leftover taco filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat for a few minutes in the microwave or a small skillet and serve with the remaining ingredients, as suggested.
Per Serving: 244 calories, 10 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat,
7 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 430 mg sodium
Star Nutrients: folate (13% DV), vitamin A (11% DV), vitamin C (14% DV), vitamin K
(13% DV), calcium (13% DV), iron (11% DV), potassium (12% DV)
Recipe from Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes, ©Sharon Palmer 2014. Reprinted with permission from the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.