Looking for an easy comfort food dish the whole family will love? Try this easy, yummy plant-based tamale pie, which you can whip up in less than 10 minutes and pop in the oven. Use a cornbread mix to make it even easier! Layers of golden cornbread, black beans, veggie taco meat, corn, and spicy salsa meld together into perfection. Serve it with a crisp green salad and dinner is in the bag!
Yields 8 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- ¼ cup canola oil, expeller-pressed
- 1 cup plant-based milk (i.e., soy or almond), unsweetened, plain
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 8 ounces soy taco meat, crumbled
- ¼ onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded plant-based cheese (i.e. soy or almond)
- ¼ cup salsa, prepared
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and in a mixing bowl. Add honey, oil, plant-based milk, chia and mix until smooth.
- Spray a large casserole dish (about 9 × 13 inch) with non-stick spray.
- Pour cornbread batter into the bottom of the dish to make a thin layer.
- Top evenly with black beans and crumbled soy taco meat.
- Sprinkle with onion, corn, and plant-based cheese.
- Drizzle with salsa and place in the oven uncovered for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Garnish with green onions and cilantro and serve immediately.
Speed this recipe up by using one box of cornbread mix (enough to make 9 × 9 inch dish) in step 2, following package directions (use plant-based milk and 1 tablespoon chia seeds instead of the egg).