I am in love with my new Tofu Xpress! It’s so easy to use and clean, and it results in wonderful quality tofu, perfect for using in your favorite recipes. If you press tofu, you drain away the extra fluid so that it boasts a meatier texture and absorbs the flavors of the dish you are preparing it in. This works wonderfully in stir-fries, casseroles, roasted dishes, baked tofu, and more. The old-fashioned way to press tofu (which still works, by the way!) is to wrap it in paper towels between two dishes with something heavy on it. Then you let the liquid run off and you have pressed tofu after 30 minutes or so. With Tofu Xpress, you just pop your tofu in the press, tighten it, pop it in the frig, and pour off the liquid and you’re ready to go!
Here are the easy-peasy steps for using Tofu Xpress:
1. Assemble the Tofu Xpress; you have to put the spring into the center of the top plate before you get started; just takes a second.
2. Place a square of firm or extra firm tofu (14-16 oz) into the tofu press; it’s designed to fit a square of tofu perfectly! Don’t try this with soft or silken tofu.
3. Place the assembled lid on the top of the tofu, press down, and twist the handle to slide into the side hooks, clicking them into place.
4. Pop the entire press (it won’t leak, don’t worry!) into the frig for 30 minutes to an hour. You can do this while you’re preparing the rest of your meal, or even the night before to save time.
5. Tip the press into the sink and let the liquid (which collects on the top of the press) pour off.
Try some of my favorite recipes which use tofu: Baked Tofu with Pesto and Quinoa, and